The OERu is distinctively open and has conducted all planning meetings transparently on the open web. All meetings have been streamed live on the web and recordings of all plenary sessions are posted on WikiEducator as a public record of the OERu cooperation.
The implementation of the OERu has been guided by the the following phases:
- Concept phase (2011): proposed the concept of the OERu
- Prototyping phase (2012 – 2013): Assembly of prototype courses, context evaluation, and soft launch of the OERu in November 2013.
- Consolidation phase (2014 – 2015): Consultative development of OERu strategic plan, input evaluation, establishing organisational working group structure and supporting resources and technologies.
- Implementation phase (2016 onwards): Achieve minimum viable product for sustainable and scalable growth, process and product evaluation.
Drawing on capability maturity model theory, the OERu is transitioning from the “initial” and characteristically chaotic starting point of a new undocumented project to the “repeatable” phase where process can be documented sufficiently for repeating the steps for managed implementation for the future.
You can view a dynamic timeline on the oeru.org website. Key links, relevant documents and reports from previous meetings are listed in chronological order below.
OER for assessment and credit for students open meeting Feb 2011
1st meeting of OERu partners - Nov 2011
- Meeting ID: OERu 11.10
- Dates: 9 – 10 November 2011
- Host: Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Decision on inaugural credential for the OERu
- Adoption of a prototyping model to inform next steps for the OERu
- Adoption of the CIPP (Context, Input, Process and Product) model to inform OERu implementation.
2nd meeting of OERu partners - Oct 2013
- Meeting ID: OERu 13.10
- Dates: 31 October and 1 November 2013
- Host: Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, Canada.
- Launch of the OERu officiated by Sir John Daniel
- Discussed and defined broad parameters to inform strategic planning for the OERu
- Established a working group organisational structure to progress implementation of the OERu.
Transnational qualifications framework (TQF) and course articulation meeting - Nov 2013
- Meeting ID: OERuTQF 13.11
- Date: 4 November 2013
- Host: Commonwealth of Learning (COL), Vancouver, Canada.
- Records: Agenda and report
- Adopt the COL TQF as guiding framework for course articulation.
- Establish Credit transfer and course articulation advisory working group to develop guidelines for credit transfer within the OERu network.
1st meeting of the OERu Council of Chief Executive Officers - Nov 2013
- Meeting ID: OERuCCEOs 13.11
- Date: 5 November 2013
- Host: Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Approved terms of reference for the Council
- Established Executive Committee of the Council comprising regional Vice-Chairs
- Tasked the network to conduct consultative development of the OERu strategic plan
3rd meeting of OERu partners - Nov 2014
- Meeting ID: OERu 14.11
- Dates: 6 – 7 November 2014
- Host: University of Tasmania, Hobart Australia
- Approval of the OERu Strategic Plan 2015 -2017 and calibration of 2015 key performance indicators
- Proposal to adopt OERu Institutional Action Plans
- Draft guidelines for OERu credit transfer
- Refinements to working group organisation
2nd meeting of OERu Council of Chief Executive Officers - Nov 2014
- Meeting ID: OERuCCEOs 14.11
- Date: 10 November 2014
- Host: Sydney Business School, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Approved OERu Strategic Plan 2015 – 2017 with minor refinements
- Endorsed the OERu Institutional Action Plan proposal
- Recommendations for growing the network and adopting matched funding projects between the foundation and contributing OERu partners.
4th meeting of OERu partners - Oct 2015
- Meeting ID: OERu 15.10
- Dates: 7 – 8 October 2015
- Host: North-West University, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
- Agreed to implement Minimum Viable Product for the OERu 1st year of study
- Proposed refinements to operational processes for course nominations
- Unanimous approval of the OERu Guidelines for credit transfer
- Recalibrated 2016 KPIs.
3rd meeting of OERu Council of Chief Executive Officers - Oct 2015
- Meeting ID: OERuCCEOs 15.10
- Date: 9 October 2015
- Host: orth-West University, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
- Expanded the Counciles terms of reference to provide advice, guidance and support on implementing OERu
- Recommended the dissemination of the OERu open business model canvas to all Chief Executive Officers of the network
- Endorsed the proposal to implement the OERu 1st year of study and nominated the Certificate of Higher Education at the University of the Highlands and Islands as an exit credential.