Evolution, Behavior and Sensation and Perception is the second of three free micro Open Online Courses (mOOCs) that jointly constitute the first half of a first-year university introductory psychology course. It is designed for undergraduate students who wish to work towards a major in psychology, students who wish to take a psychology course as an elective, and for informal learners everywhere.
This course will help you to become familiar with the really low-level variables that contribute to our thoughts and behaviors.
Upon successful completion of this micro-course you will be able to:
- Describe the contribution of genes to shaping our thoughts and behavior
- Explain how evolutionary theory can be applied to behavior
- Summarize the basic principles of learning and behaviorism
- Compare and contrast sensation and perception
- Explain how vision works using the Perceptual Processing Framework and apply the framework to understand other modalities
- Read and summarize current published research
- Write thoughtfully about psychological processes and research
- Critically analyze and discuss psychological processes and research