In this learning pathway we will explore how psychologists think about learning, the different forms that learning can take, and how classical conditioning works. As you make your way through this learning pathway take note of how applicable the concepts in the module are! I find that this pathway is particularly useful to parents and pet owners.
By the end of this learning pathway you should be able to:
- Explain what ‘learning’ means to psychologists
- Identify & explain how learned behaviours are different from instincts & reflexes
- Define classical conditioning, operant conditioning & observational learning
- Summarize how classical conditioning occurs
- Analyze examples of classical conditioning to identify the conditioned & unconditioned stimuli & responses
- Distinguish the processes of acquisition, extinction, spontaneous recovery, generalization & discrimination