This is a self-paced course. You are welcome to complete the course at your own pace. However we suggest you may like to complete it in around four weeks, by completing two sessions per week.
Session O: Orientation
Session 1: The Atlantic World in the 1600s
The Atlantic World in the 1600s.
Find out about the Atlantic world at the opening of the early modern period.
- Begin this pathway here: The Atlantic World Overview
Session 2: Global Trade
Learn about the growth of international trade in the seventeenth century in the Learning Pathway ‘Global Trade: Europe, the Middle East and Asia.’
- Begin this pathway here: Global Trade Overview
Examine the major economic, social and political impacts of trade in the seventeenth century in the Learning Pathway ‘The Impact of Global Trade’.
- Begin this pathway here: The Impact of Global Trade Overview
Session 3: The Rise of Absolutism
Changing Political Systems and Colonial Conflicts.
Learn about the rise of absolutist political systems, and conflict in the rapidly growing colonies in America.
- Begin this pathway here: Changing Political Systems Overview
Session 4: Absolutism
Absolutist Political Systems
Discover how absolute monarchs justified their rule, and the challenges they faced.
- Begin this pathway here: Absolutist Political Systems Overview
Session 5: Reformation and Counter-reformation
Reformation and Counter-reformation in Europe.
Explore how the reformation challenged the authority of the Catholic church and how the church responded.
- Begin this pathway here: Reformation and Counter-Reformation Overview
Session 6: The Spread of Islam
The Spread of Islam in Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
Learn about the Islamic world during this period.
- Begin this pathway here: The Spread of Islam Overview
Session 7: Enlightenment and Revolution
Enlightenment and Revolution.
Find out how the Enlightenment changed the way ordinary people understood the world around them in the Learning Pathway ‘The Enlightenment’.
- Begin this pathway here: The Enlightenment Overview
Learn about the American and French Revolutions, and their global impact in the Learning Pathway ‘Political Revolutions.’
- Begin this pathway here: Political Revolutions Overview
Session 8: Scientific and Industrial Revolutions
Scientific and Industrial Revolutions.
Examine how new knowledge and new technology helped create the modern world.
- Begin this pathway here: Scientific and Industrial Revolutions Overview