Artistic Process and Visual Language is a free micro open online course (mOOC). In this course you will acquire a basic understanding of how art is defined and the different ways it functions in societies and cultures. The course explores the artistic process and the art industry surrounding it. You will be introduced to artistic principles: the means by which the elements in a work of art are arranged and orchestrated. The course will also help you learn the “language of art” through a structured approach to terms and examples used to describe and analyze any work of art.
This course aims to help learners:
- Acquire a basic understanding of how art is defined.
- Acquire a basic understanding of the different ways art functions in societies and cultures.
- Acquire a basic understanding of artistic processes and visual language.
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Define basic terms used in art.
- Explain some of the roles art plays in society.
- Recognize various types of artistic styles.
- Explain how artists learn about art through training and education.
- Define and describe artistic elements and principles.
- Discuss compositional constructs.
- Using the language of art, compare and contrast artworks.