This learning pathway provides a basic understanding of how art is defined and the different ways it functions in societies and cultures.
This learning pathway covers the following topics:
- Basics: form and content, aesthetics, subjective and objective perspectives
- Artistic roles
- Artistic categories
- Artistic styles
- Perception and visual awareness
Upon successful completion of this learning pathway, you should be able to:
- Define art within a cultural perspective.
- Explain the difference between objective and subjective.
- Explain the different roles art plays within different cultures.
- Define the term subject matter.
- Define the categories realistic, abstract, and non-objective.
- Recognize, evaluate, and describe artistic styles.
- Discuss the meaning of aesthetics and its relationship to cultural conventions.
- Identify and discuss issues of visual awareness.