Course Name: Marketing research and customer insights (PMKT102)
In this course you’ll learn the basics of assessing and researching the customer and a product’s life cycle.
What will I learn?
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyse customer behaviour and the difference between needs and wants.
- Describe the customer decision-making process.
- Consider and explain the commonalities and differences of business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-consumer (B2C) marketing.
- Describe and apply different aspects of marketing research, including the use of qualitative and quantitative research.
- Explain how the value proposition changes through a product’s life cycle.
There are four learning pathways each containing numerous resources, activities, and an assessment (for those seeking formal credit).
The learning pathways are:
- Orientation learning pathway (optional if you have already completed another OERu micro-course)
- Assessing customer behaviour and motivation.
- Researching customer needs and preferences.
- Developing a value proposition for the product life cycle.
What prerequisites should I have, if any?
Anyone is free to participate in this course. An internet connection and basic web browsing skills are recommended with the ability to create a blog and microblog account (instructions and self-study tutorials provided.) You are requested to keep a personal learning journal as reflection has been shown to increase learning markedly.
You will need to be proficient in English language (reading, writing and listening) to participate successfully in this course.
This is one of three micro-courses which together make up the Principles of Marketing course. Each micro-course can be studied independently, but we recommend study in the following order because the later micro-courses draw to some extent on knowledge, skills and resources developed in the earlier ones:
|Micro-course number||Micro-course name and link|
|PMKT101||Core foundations of successful marketing|
|PMKT102||Marketing research and customer insights|
|PMKT103||Launching products and generating market demand|
All the micro-courses can be accessed and consulted freely online.
What assessment options do I have?
There are various options for assessment and certification of participation. Please refer to the Assesssment Overview for full information.