World History: Imperialism and War is a free micro Open Online Course (mOOC) designed for students who would like to learn more about the forces that shaped the modern world. This course will help you to:
- Learn about imperialism in the long nineteenth century
- Explore the ideological justifications for imperialism
- Examine the impacts of imperialism on subject peoples, and resistance to imperialism
- Understand the causes of World War One
- Learn about the key events and battles of World War One
- Reflect on the impact of World War One in Europe and globally
- Examine the Russian Revolution
- Learn about the Great Depression
- Explore the rise of totalitarian states
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the major factors that shaped world history during the long nineteenth century.
- Understand the causes and impacts of World War One.
- Think critically about the ideologies that were used to justify imperialism and war.
- Identify the forces that drove new imperialism
- Assess the role of new technologies in facilitating imperialism and war
- Reflect on the origins of the Great Depression and its impact on people’s lives around the world
- Consider the factors that led to the rise of totalitarianism in Russia, Italy, Germany and Japan