In the Danish province of Kalundborg, a number of large businesses have been developing a system of industrial symbiosis that results in hyper-efficient resource use and almost no waste. In effect, the industrial cluster is designed in the same way as natural systems work: where the waste of one organisation is a raw material for another.
Discussion forum activity
- Watch this video on Kalundborg Symbiosis.
- Look around the Kalundborg Industrial Symbiosis website.
- Now think about these questions:
- What do you see as the core elements that have underpinned the development and success of the Kalundborg Symbiosis initiative?
- What can we learn from this?
- What do you think it would take to gain widespread adoption of this sort of industrial design philosophy?
- What are the barriers, and how might they be overcome?
- What examples are you aware of where this sort of industrial design is already happening?
- Add your comments to the Discussion Forum (look for the specific topic on this).
Hint: You may wish to write out your answer and copy and paste it into the forum when you have it completed.
You must be logged in to post to WEnotes.