In this learning pathway we will explore some of the ways that our memory leads us astray in the modern world, as well as some of the ways in which we can exploit how memory works to improve our recall. As you move through the learning pathway note that memory evolved to function in a way that contributed to our survival in a completely different context. Many of the common ‘memory errors’ that researchers have identified reveal how memory was meant to work during out shared ancestral history, but are ineffective in our modern, detail-oriented lives.
Pathway Learning Outcomes
By the end of this learning pathway you should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the two types of amnesia
- Discuss the unreliability of eyewitness testimony
- Identify some of the ways in which memory fails us in predictable ways
- Compare and contrast the two types of interference
- Recognize and apply memory-enhancing strategies to improve your studying