The medium is the message
Consider the following questions:
- Do the technologies that provide content (i.e. the form) influence the message?
- If you don’t understand the medium, can you understand the message?
- What has greater impact on society, the content of the videos on Youtube or the fact that Youtube exists?
Watch this short video which summarises the central tenets of Marshal McLuhan’s media theory.
For further explanation, watch the Medium is the message published by Folding Ideas.
Share you thoughts by posting a comment on WENotes, for example:
- The most important message is …
- I don’t agree that …
- The medium is no longer the message because …
- The message is the medium because …
You must be logged in to post to WEnotes.
Note: Your comment will be displayed in the course feed.
Annotation - The meaning of 'The medium is the message'
- Read: Federman, M. (2004, July 23). What is the Meaning of The Medium is the Message? Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Log in to Hypothes.is to annotate or reply to posts on: What is the Meaning of The Medium is the Message (direct hypothes.is link). Remember to tag your post using the course code: LiDA104. (Note: You must be logged into your hypothes.is account to launch the annotation buttons. Consult the OERu support site for help on using annotations.)