The purpose of this document is to provide guidelines for creating Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) with limited resources. It is intended to be of use for educators who wish to offer their students the opportunity to complete educational credentials online, but don’t have a big budget to do so. It may also be useful for anyone who is interested in using technology to share their knowledge and experience with the world using low-cost tools.
This document can be used on its own, or as a reference guide when taking the “Making MOOCs on a Budget” course at https://learn.canvas.net/courses/1412/
This guide will take you through the tasks that need to be completed when building a MOOC, including:
- Specifying the learning outcomes of your course.
- Making decisions on the nature or style of your course and what types of learning objects you will use in your course.
- Selecting the tools you need to build your course content.
- Creating video content and sourcing free content.
- Planning your project and keeping it on track.
- Recruiting learners for your course.
- Engaging and retaining learners on your course.
- Assessment of learner performance and awarding credit.
- Selecting a platform for delivery.
Guidance is also provided on optimising resources and creating systems and processes for low-cost production of MOOCs within institutions.
Disclaimer: These guidelines reflect only the views of the authors. The national authority and European Commission are not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained herein