This topic covers the issue of the Stolen Generations, considering the origin and policies that allowed removal of Indigenous children from their families and the impact of these policies on Indigenous families.
The following will be covered;
- Who are the Stolen Generations?
- The history of removing Indigenous children in Australia;
- ‘Black armband history’ and the ‘history wars’;
- The continuing impact of removal;
- The apology to the Stolen Generations.
This topic is study towards achieving the following objectives:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the diversity of Indigenous Australian cultures both past and present;
- be able to critically examine post-colonisation policies and practices and their impact on Indigenous communities and families.