| Work Breakdown Structure (WBS): A hierarchical decomposition of the deliverables needed to complete a project.
It breaks the deliverables down into manageable work packages that can be scheduled, costed and have resources assigned to them.
In large projects, the scheduling process follows the activities associated with initiation and scope planning (these are covered in more detail in IPM102).
Scheduling is dependent on a detailed breakdown of the activities and sub-activities to complete the project.
- The number of levels may vary, depending on the complexity of the project.
- A hierarchical numbering system is used.
- There are many ways to organise projects, e.g. by phases or by deliverable.
- In your blog, identify the tasks for planning a dinner party and the corresponding activities or work packages for two of these tasks.
- Remember to tag or label your post using the course code: IPM103 (This is needed to harvest a link to your blog post in the course feed.).
- If you haven’t already done so, register the published URL (not the one used for editing) of your course blog by clicking on the graphic above..